Thursday 15 January 2009

Eiffel Tower: Revisited

I'm constantly surprised at how new developments in software mean that you can take an old image taken with a digital camera and create something much better with it. But it's not just digital imaging that can benefit from such a revisit. The same also applies to old-fashioned film.
I recently had a dig around the back of our enormous under-eaves storage cupboard and came across the original prints that I exhibited at the end of my photography studies. Not only had they faded really badly (a product of being printed on non-archival paper with non-archival ink) but I was appalled and embarrassed by the quality of the scans. 
I resolved to re-use the frames (rather lovely oak mounts from Habitat, I recall), and make a fresh scan and print of one of the images, to give to my parents at Christmas.
Thanks to my Minolta Multi Pro scanner, which I bought last year on ebay, the new scan is miles clearer, with a better range of tones and greater depth. I made a print using my wonderful Epson 3800 A2 printer and archival Premium Semigloss paper and the results were amazing - especially when compared with the fuzzy original!
The original photograph was taken during a weekend in Paris about six years ago, and shot with a late-lamented Yaschica 124G medium format camera. 

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist H' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP